Welcome to Equalities at Northolt High School. You will find here information about how the school ensures it meets its Specific Equalities Duties (These are things our school must do).
The Public Sector Equality Duty requires our school to publish information about Equalities.
The Equality Act 2010 clearly states that the following groups must be taken into account. People identified in the following groups are considered to have a protected characteristic.
- Sex (gender)
- Race (ethnicity)
- Pregnancy and Maternity
- Religion and Belief
- Sexual Orientation
- Marriage and Civil Partnership
- The information we publish and analyse must be clearly linked to the three aims (General Duties) of the Public Sector Equality Duty. General Duties are the things that schools aim to achieve.
The three aims of the Public Sector Equality Duty are to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The two specific duties of the Public Sector Equality Duty are intended to help schools meet the general duty. They are to:
- Publish information
- You will find here information about our school community
Set Equality Objective – Action Plan
- Equality Objectives – Actions we will take after careful thought (analysis)
Much of the information and analysis will relate to the school improvement plan, evaluations and student data – we intend to use the information to improve education for all groups in the school. We want to make sure we know which pupils are doing well and less well so we can plan and improve.
A lot of this information is already being used by the school to develop the school and improve what we are doing. We will use information which tells us we could be doing better to plan for the future and include these actions in our Equalities Objectives which you will find also published here.
This information is meant to be clear and simple. If you have any problem with the way we have written it and can think of a way we can make the information clearer please let us know. You may contact Ms C Pott for further information.